Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply to SCAS?

We have growing waitlists across many year levels, so it is never too early to register. The sooner you register the higher up the list your child will be. Some parents choose to register their children many years prior to attendance (even from the birth of their child).

When will I know if my child has a place at the School?

Enrolment interviews will usually occur in the time frames below. After an offer of enrolment is extended, a family usually has 3 weeks to confirm their offer of a place with the payment of the acceptance fee. In some cases, for year groups where the demand is high, a place may not be able to be confirmed until much closer to the desired date of commencement due to the year group being fully subscribed and the availability of further places being dependent on a confirmed student leaving.

Kindergarten: Approximately 12 months prior to commencement
Year 7: Approximately 12 months prior to commencement
Years 1-6: Approximately 6 months in advance (during term 3 of the year prior)
Years 8-12: Approximately 6 months in advance (during term 3 of the year prior)

Immediate enrolments are managed in a shorter time frame.

What are the tuition costs?

Visit our Tuition Fees page to view our Schedule of Fees and Charges.

Are scholarships available?

Yes, the School offers a number of Scholarships, awarded annually. More information can be found here.

Do I need to waitlist siblings?

Siblings of enrolled SCAS students have priority placement; however, to secure a place on the waitlist, you are required to complete an online Application for Enrolment for each child in your family.

Siblings can only be admitted where vacancies are available, so it’s important that we know about all the children in your family.

What age should my child be to start Kindergarten?

Children can start Kindergarten if they turn five prior to the start of the school year. Students who turn five after the school year commences but prior to 31 July are eligible for enrolment but would be subject to discussions with the Head of Primary as to the child’s school readiness.

Does my child have to be baptised or attend a church?

While St Columba is a Christian School in the Anglican tradition, its intake is open to students of any faith background.

It is not a requirement to be baptised or to attend a church, although students will be required to attend a weekly Christian Studies class and a weekly Chapel Service for the duration of the time they are at the School.

Parents and students are expected to support the Christian ethos of the School.

Is St Columba Anglican School zoned?

Zone restrictions do not apply in the independent sector, and students are admitted on the basis of places becoming available. The School has students from across the Mid North Coast region, including Wauchope, Kempsey and Taree.

Does SCAS have a full range of subject choices?

SCAS offers a remarkably diverse range of subjects, and we are able to meet the majority of students’ subject choices. We also have links to online and distance education learning.

What transport options are available?

At St Columba, we use the local Busways school bus service for transportation to and from school. Busways operate school bus routes across the Hastings region. More information can be found on the Busways website.

Does SCAS provide Out of School Hours Care?

Yes, SCAS does provide Out of School Hours Care (OSHC), both before and after school and during vacations, operated by Columba Cottage. It is suitable for students from Kindergarten to Year 6.

Before School Care operates from 6.30am to 8.30am and After School Care operates from 3.00pm to 6.00pm. Our Vacation Care program runs from 6.30am until 6.00pm during the New South Wales SCAS school holidays. You can find out more at the Columba Cottage website.

What are the conditions for withdrawing my enrolled student?

The School requires one full school term’s notice for the withdrawal of students. Notice of withdrawal must be in writing to the Principal (or appointed delegate) and must be given prior to the commencement of the last term of attendance.

Failure to give one full school term’s notice of withdrawal in writing will incur a charge of one full term’s fees per student in lieu of notice, and any discounts applied will be adjusted accordingly.